twitter




Thursday, June 17, 2010

Lowering heart rate (jogging)?

When I jog my heart rate seems to get high quick. For example, today I was walking at 3.0 mph (on a treadmill) with my heart rate ranging from 85-105. However, when I raised the speed to 4.6 my heart rate quickly jumps up to 150,160, and even got up to 192 according to my heart rate monitor. Previous days I have tried speeds of 5.2, and 6.0 with similar heart rate results. I am 21 year old male, so my max heart rate is supposed to be around 195-199, thus I stopped because I thought this would not be safe. I weigh 193lbs, and I am not in that good of shape.



Currently I am walking for an hour at a speed of 3.5mph 4,5 times a week. And I am also doing some weight training 2,3 times a week.



Are there any other exercises that I can do (preferabbly at home) that will help lower my heart rate? Or should I just avoid jogging until I am in better shape?



Thanks.



Lowering heart rate (jogging)?

I would suggest doing some circuit training on the treadmill. The heart is a muscle like other muscles in your body and needs to be trained. Doing 1 minute circuits with 2 minutes rest at 85% of your max heart rate will strengthen your heart quicker than doing steady state cardio like walking or running at the same pace for long distances. You may also try adjusting the incline on the treadmill instead of running. Just make sure you change it up often and dont get stuck doing the exact same thing every day. I have a friend that has been running 5 miles a day for 10 years and he is actually gaining weight right now because his body is so accustomed to doing the same thing that he is no longer getting results from the run. Change, change, change always!!



Lowering heart rate (jogging)?

Actually jogging is very good for you, unless of course you have a medical condition and the physician tells you otherwise. Heres the thing, if you have a sedentary life style chances are you will have a heart rate of around 80-120 AT REST and shoots up when you perform strenuous activities, this is because your heart is not efficient. But, if you have an active life style it%26#039;s pretty normal to have a lower heart rate at rest and during activities because your heart is efficient. Aside from that there are a lot of other factors that contribute to your heart rate including diet.



So you see, it%26#039;s better to take things slow for a while and then work it up from there. I%26#039;m guessing that your not much of an active person and that probably contributes to why your heart rate shoots up even if you%26#039;re just doing 4.6mph walk. Your heart is not used to it, that%26#039;s it.



My advice is start from 3mph and slowly increase the speed. Like 3mph for 2weeks or so, then increase it to 4mph and so on. Remember rapid changes in your activity is not good for the body.



Lowering heart rate (jogging)?

Heart rate quickens as a response to increase the cardiac output when we are exercising (HR x Stroke volume = output). Age, fitness level, genetics, level of hydration, underlying illness and environment are but a few factors that can affect overall cardiac fitness. As you continue to do aerobic exercise in moderation (with a careful watch of the 70% max heart rate limit), your heart will become more proficient in pumping blood per beat, and hence your heart rate will decrease during activity, with a noticable difference as early as 4 weeks. Alternating walk/jog may be helpful, as will cycling, stairclimbers or elliptical trainers. Unfortunately, weight training will not improve your aerobic capacity much, but building muscle mass will increase your metabolism and burn calories. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment