twitter




Thursday, June 17, 2010

I want to run a marathon. Should I buy a heart rate monitor? Will it help me train?

Yes!!!



You have a target pulse for long distance training and you%26#039;ll know it once you see the numbers. I didn%26#039;t want one for years, but discovered that I could cruise at 160 (beats/min) for miles but when I went to 170, I was only going to go that pace for a few minutes before dropping to 150 for a while to recover. It really taught me restraint.



It will also tell you when you haven%26#039;t fully recovered from your last run. If you%26#039;re pulse is just too high for the pace, something%26#039;s not right and you need to cut it short for the day.



Very useful; it will help you be a better runner.



I want to run a marathon. Should I buy a heart rate monitor? Will it help me train?

Depends on if you use it to train or not. If you monitor you%26#039;re heart rate but don%26#039;t apply the methods involved with heart rate training then its just a waste of time. You can get good results with the heart rate training but you really need to keep accurate records and teach yourself how to do it properly. Just put heart rate training in your search bar and you%26#039;ll see plenty of webpages that will give you the basics. You can also go to websites of companies that make heart rate monitors and they%26#039;ll help you out too.



Good luck.



I want to run a marathon. Should I buy a heart rate monitor? Will it help me train?

it楹搒 definitely a good choice for not workout over your limits.



I want to run a marathon. Should I buy a heart rate monitor? Will it help me train?

NO IT WONT



I want to run a marathon. Should I buy a heart rate monitor? Will it help me train?

Yes. I agree with n0witrytobeamused.



Heart rate monitor is one of the many factors in marathon training, but it is an important one that would teach you to be a better and more efficient runner.



When you run too fast, your heart rate will be too high, and you will tire out much quicker. So, you want to know where your pace should be, and heart rate monitor will help you with that.



To estimate your target heart rate, take 200 minus your age. That would be your estimated maximum heart rate. Some people likes it at 100%, some like 90%, and some like 80%. That is where the monitor will teach you where you should be. I too like a cruising speed with my heart rate at 160%26#039;s (I am 35, so 200-35=165, which is where I like to run).



Heart rate monitor also helps you determine your recovery - if you stop the exercise and you see a rather nice slowing of the heart rate, then you are more ready for the race. Also, at rest, most of the trained athlete will run 50-60%26#039;s, if not slower. When I am well trained for my marathon, I usually run in low 50%26#039;s at rest.



You can get a cheaper heart rate monitor like the low end Polar that runs low $100%26#039;s, and that should suffice. If you are really serious, the higher ended Polar (well into $200-400%26#039;s) will give you more information - calories burned, heart rate by the seconds or minutes and recorded to be downloaded into the computer, as well as other numbers that might be helpful if you are serious about your training and planning to run for a long time.



I want to run a marathon. Should I buy a heart rate monitor? Will it help me train?

It can help you train. A cheaper solution is to run with training partners. If you can carry on a conversation you aren%26#039;t running too hard.



I want to run a marathon. Should I buy a heart rate monitor? Will it help me train?

No. For extreme training you hearbeat must be 20-40 beats under your max hearbeats per minute. Don%26#039;t over work you heart! Ussually after training a runner%26#039;s pulse should be around 25 beats for 10 seconds.



Example.



220-your age=your max heartbeats per minute.



All you need to do is to count your pulse every 10 minutes for 10 seconds and times it by 6. Just bring a watch along so you can check while running.



You will do fine if your heart does not over work.

No comments:

Post a Comment